Sunday, June 26, 2011

Love Sucks!

William Butler Yeats provides us a humorous take on Love. In speaking with a bishop, crazy Jane shares her opinion on the matter of love. “Those breasts are flat and fallen now / Those veins must soon be dry; / Live in a heavenly mansion, / Not in some foul sty.” (line 3 – 6). I think this is the bishop speaking. He is telling her that she is old and should be thinking about her salvation. She responds that she is old and there is no one else to take care of her. her friends have moved on or died. “My friends are gone, but that’s a truth, / nor grave nor bed denied.” (line 9 & 10). A woman has to do what she can to survive if a husband does not care for her. “A woman can be proud and stiff / when on love intent;” (line 13 & 14). A young woman can act in a lady- like manner to attract a husband. Jane is old so silly things like love do not matter to her. “But Love has pitched his mansion in / The place of excrement” (line 15 &16). Jane feels this love stuff is a pile of crap literally. She does not subscribe to the ideals of love anymore.
Perhaps this was written from years of unrequited love for Maude Gonne. Yeats wrote her many letters over 50 years and asked her to marry him. She did not return his affection. This poem was written later in his life and perhaps like many older people his tact button had worn down a bit. I feel sorry for anyone who does not have someone to share their life with. Love really is something that grows into something completely different. Love is fiery and powerful when a couple first marries that almost hurts, and places a pit of fear and excitement in your belly. After a few years, a dampened fire that warms you from the inside replaces this love. The huge flames can still be fanned to consume you and renew your passion. It brings a smile to your face, and peace replaces the pit of fear. After many years, that warm flame is more or less a single ember with more strength and power than a forest fire. Respect, admiration, and complete adoration replace the intense passion of the early years. A powerful and wonderful friendship blossoms between you. I learned this from observing my parents relationship over the last 40 years. This is the example I have to base my opinions. It is what I have experienced in my marriage of almost 18 years.

4 comments:

  1. Joan,

    Very insightful commentary on Yeats's semi-comic and semi-profound poem, with effective sharing of your own wisdom from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really understand this when I read it, and I like your explanation. This narrator's viewpoint does seem like it belongs to a crotchety old lady. What I would like to know is whether she used to be loved and is mad her husband died on her--or if she lost his love--or wasn't loved? Trying to figure this out makes me a little crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My intake on this poem was very different from your but I like your version you have given. I thought that woman was very proud of how she had lived when she was talking to Bishop. I thought she had no regrets about her life whether she had been loved or not. Now I see that we all can have different interpretations of something we have read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a lot from your interpretation of this. I wasn't really sure of what point it was trying to make, but I like your take on it. I also like that it is more humorous; many writers take themselves too seriously in my opinion, and I think this does a good job of addressing a subject in a lighter tone.

    ReplyDelete