Monday, June 27, 2011

Clay by James Joyce

I looked up the word clay. It is defined as an earthy materiel that is plastic when moist but hard when fired. It also means fundamental nature or character. I thought it would be interesting to explore these definitions in relationship to this story.

The story begins with a common woman Maria, who has worked hard all her life. She was a governess and raised two boys. These two boys, Joe and Alphy were her life’s work. Joe was still very fond of Maria and invited her to gatherings at his home. He felt she was more of a mother to him than his own was. “Mamma is mamma but Maria is my proper mother.” (page 1134). Even with her lack of social class, Joe tried to include her in family events. Perhaps this is why he and Alphy were at odds. “Maria thought she would put in a good word for Alphy, But Joe cried that God might strike him stone dead if ever he spoke a word to his brother again.” (Page 1136) I think Joe became so overtly upset because Maria was defending someone who probably insulted her. The clay that Joyce speaks can be seen as a relationship. It is plastic and moldable depending on the need. When it hardens from firing, there is a bond that can stand a thousand uses without damage. This is the relationship between Joe and Maria. They are also from the same clay. Their character regardless of social class is admirable.

I believe people are made from many types of clay. Some mesh well and some do not. I do not mesh with a few individuals myself. This story has inspired me to make a better effort. If I want my fundamental nature to be an overall positive one, I must learn to appreciate their positive qualities. If I judge them for their mistakes then I must put my mistakes up to be judged. As uncomfortable as this will probably be, it will make me a better person. Joe was not afraid to befriend someone of a lower class than his own. His character is a good example we should follow.

2 comments:

  1. Joan,

    Congratulations on having completed your 20th post! You should be proud of what you have accomplished in this blog.

    I am glad this is your last one, because I think it represents your work well—it is insightful, engaged, and personal, all at the same time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read Clay, I had more of a saddened, melancholy tone in mind. Probably because of the imagery of death and poverty. But I like how you took the piece and put a more positive spin on it; it is something that I had not thought of myself.

    ReplyDelete